In light of recent events, I’ve decided to take this summer season and refocus a bit and start working on different pieces of me. Sounds a bit vein, I know.
I recently had a conversation with a new friend who has gone through struggles of her own in having children, and she gave me some of the best advice anyone has. She told me to focus on myself. Get to know who I am. Take time to live out the other dreams I might have in life besides being a mom and having more kids. She reminded me that though being a mom is a huge part of who I am now, it doesn’t encompass all of me. I’m still a wife, a friend, a sister, a daughter, an individual. And the best part was, she told me it was okay. It’s okay to focus on myself for a little while. I can still be a good mom, in fact I might even be a better one by doing so.
Thanks to that advice, my desire to concretely deliver my 30 before 30 list has been awakened. The following are 30 things I want to do before leaving my twenties. These are in no specific order, just things I’d like to accomplish over the next three years.
1. Go to Las Vegas.
2. Master the following yoga poses: handstand, forearm stand, king pigeon pose.
3. Attend a music festival.
4. Buy a house.
5. Go wine tasting in the beautiful Willamette Valley.
6. Go on vacation, just me and my hubs.
7. Take Judah to Disneyland.
8. Master making a fancy cocktail.
9. Explore Portland.
10. Drive the Pacific Coast Highway.
11. Read through the Bible.
12. Host an outdoor dinner party.
13. Have another child…God willing.
14. Teach Judah to ride a bike.
15. Travel to Massachusetts to spend time with my sister, niece, and brother-in-law.
16. Eat at 10 new (to me) restaurants in Salem.
17. Buy a big bouquet of flowers at the farmer’s market.
18. Pull over and spend time getting to know the homeless people I pass every day, and share a meal with them, not just pass them a granola bar from my car window.
19. Explore the Gorge.
20. Pay for someone else’s meal, and not just at a fast food place. A legit meal.
21. Go to Cabo.
22. Run a half marathon.
23. Plant a garden.
24. Paint a room. I’ve lived with beige walls for 5 years…seriously, I need some color.
25. Find chairs for our fabulous farm table.
26. Can and freeze at least five types of produce.
27. Finish re-reading the Harry Potter series with Kyle…we’ve been working on this one for two years now.
28. Visit the World of Harry Potter.
29. Share Oregon with some of my dearest friends. (Dorina…Nabrissa…Sarah…I’m talking to you.)
30. Play soccer with Judah.
There are so many things I’d like to do in life, but the biggest one, especially this summer, is getting to know myself. Gaining my confidence, and becoming the woman God made me to be.
Happy first day of summer, hope your weekend is fabulous!